Monday, July 16, 2012

Come What May and Love It


Kamusta Pamilya!
 
Oh man. I love being a missionary. It's the hardest thing I've ever done but I love it. I'm so lucky to be able to spend 2 years serving the Lord and studying the scriptures and inviting people to come unto Christ. I can't think of a better way to spend my time.
 
Ok so things that happened this week: the other day we were "tracting" and one person opened their door and in Cebuano I said "Hello! We're millionaires from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints!" hahahah instead of missionaries... oh man I couldn't stop laughing. Anyway, I love the Elders in our district. We are all so close. and there's one sister named Sister Boegenshutz. she is so awesome. I have a soft spot for Sisters. haha I miss you mara!!
 
OH the other day we did TRC which is Training Resource Center where we legit go in and talk to strangers in Cebuano. I was so nervous, but the first one was awesome and when we got done, the guy was like "dang you've only been here for 3 weeks?? Your Visayan is so good! BUT THEN we went into the next appointment and the guy was speaking so fast and I was having a really hard time understanding him and then 5 minutes later we realized he was speaking Ilongo (another filipino dialect).....hahaha not even cebuano...nastay! but it was so awesome we could still communicate and get our point across. I say all my prayers in cebuano now! and I've had a couple dreams with words here and there. it's so cool. i love speaking a different language. At meals, I talk to other elders in Spanish and my district is like "of COURSE Elder Mahaffey's over there just speaking in spanish"
 
I wish you could see some of the words that the Filipinos have taken from english. They spell everything phonetically and so "juice" is "dyus" and "sacrament meeting" is "sakramint miting" and 'Excuse us' is "'skus mi" hahah it looks like a kindergartner trying to spell.
 
Fun fact: (Dad you'll like this) The Ewoks in the Stars Wars movies speak Cebuano and Tagalog. haha!!
 
Elder Chamberlain is doin awesome. We are so funny. Everybody says we're the best companionship in the district. watching us is like watching a tv show. Everything he says sounds like it was scripted ahahaha
 
There are SO many awesome people in the world. Sometimes we watch those "I'm a Mormon" videos and theyre so great. You guys should really go watch them. People are so cool. AH man I love seeing all the different stories and talents and abilities. Speaking of which, last night the fireside was Jenny Oaks Baker (mom you probably know her, she's Elder Oaks daughter) and she's one of the most well known violinists in the world and it was incredible. It's amazing what humans can do! I love how music brings the spirit so much.
 
This week in scripture study, one scripture that really stood out to me was Alma 29:9 -- something like "I glory in that which God hath commanded me...he has made me an instrument in his hands...and this is my joy." this IS my joy! I love that we are an extension to the arm of the Lord and his prophets and apostles. and in Alma 34 (the whole chapter is amazing, everybody go read it) it tells us to pray always and now is the time to prepare to meet God. Pray for the welfare of others!! Oh man I love alma and amulek. They're the best missionaries.
 
Also this week, while teaching the lesson of the restoration and Joseph Smith, my testimony was strengthened so much. In class they asked us to share our thoughts and testimonies of Joseph Smith and the restoration and when I spoke, I was overwhelmed and overcome with the spirit. I just started crying and testifying and it didn't even feel like me talking. I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet and he restored the gospel on the earth. Praise to the man.
 
I am SO grateful to be here. I've grown immensely and learned so much, it's unreal. I love how the Lord can lift us to our potential and strengthen us through the Holy Spirit. I'm so grateful for an amazing family who supports me. I really have been born of goodly parents. I'm honored to serve a mission. This is my joy! We are as the Army of Helaman! I love ya guys so much!
 
Thank you to everyone who sends me DearElders throughout the week. It is so uplifting!
 
Alright everyone, be happy, go on adventures, take pictures and eat good foods. Much love and aloha from,
 
Elder Mahaffey

No comments:

Post a Comment