Thursday, March 21, 2013

Feast upon the words

Aloha yall!

A LOT of changes are happened in the mission this week. We've been told to focus on the members and helping them be converted to the Gospel through scripture reading. Generally I think the philippines has a hard time with daily scripture study so we have a lot to work with. It's been great already-- Going into homes and promising blessings of happier family relations and prosperity. Honestly there is SO much power in daily scripture study. I've never seen and felt it so evidently before. I feel good things coming to Lamac.

As for the investigators... in case you didnt know, an investigator has to come to church 4 times in a row to be baptized, so that's the difficult part. Jade left for the city this week and didn't come to church. It's sad. In fact that's the case for even a lot of the members. The attendance fluctuates a lot. It's interesting to listen to people complain about their marriage problems, family problems, and seemingly endless trials...but when we ask them how their scripture reading or prayer is, they respond "nah i dont have time for that. im too tired." Honestly? Do you see the problem?

Haha sometimes I feel like we're doctors diagnosing spiritual illnesses and the medicine is always the same -- keep the commandments. But it's like they're too stubborn to take the meds because they dont know if it will actually work.

Anyway, the work was really great this week. On our way from appointment to appointment we just talk to EVERYone. Thanks to elder manansala. He's so bold, it's been a great example to me, and a big turning point in my mission.

This week I ate shark.

Also, last week, it was a kids birthday in our branch. We went all the way to their little hut in the mountains and brought cake and soda and gifts. It was the greatest thing in the world. He kept saying "elder! elder thank you...i've never tasted cake in my whole life...this is the first time i've had soda on my birthday. thank you thank you!" it made me happy. share your blessings with others!

I love yall. I look forward to growing and living and learnin. Life is good. take some risks. live it up. read the scriptures.

Love,
elder mahaffey

No comments:

Post a Comment