Friday, February 28, 2014

--ROLLER COASTER MISSION LIFE--

Aloha yall!

This week was transfers and my new companion is Elder Gaerlan from Davao. I couldn't be happier. He is so so great. In only 5 days, so much has happened. We stopped to talk to a woman, Michelle, on the street and she invited us to come teach her family. She came to church on Sunday!! We went and visited her and she has a mute child that knows sign language. sweetest child. I felt bad I couldn't communicate with her. So the next day, I had one of the sister missionaries in Valencia, teach me sign language because she knows it. We went back and I literally had a full conversation with her. When we walked up, she signed energetically that she was happy to see us and she wants to go to church and we talked back and forth, it was incredible. I believe in the gift of hands...hahah.  In our lesson with Michelle, we explained how we had a feeling to go back and talk to her on that first day we met, and we told her that that was evidence that Heavenly Father loved her. She cried and cried. It was a really touching experience. 

The other day, we went to go teach Brenda and she was so happy to see us. Sometimes she's nervous because her husband doesn't like it when we come, but he was out of town. We were about to read a scripture, when all of a sudden, the door swung open and there stood her husband with fire in his eyes. My stomach dropped. He yelled and kicked us out.  It was the hardest thing of my life. Please pray that his heart will be softened. 

This life is really emotionally trying. It's incredible to see people feel the Spirit in their life and accept the gospel, but it is so hard to see the persecution and trials that some people face. I find comfort that all hardships will end and we may rest someday. It's a good motivation to 'seek the Lord' in all our doings. Pray and love deeply. 

Congratulations Mara!!! happy wedding!

I love yall,
Elder Mahaffey

No comments:

Post a Comment